Monday, July 20, 2009

Growing


Growing ~ my green house is fully constructed now and ready for some dirt... well, first some water, then some power, then some dirt and rocks. I am hoping to figure out how to grow things through out the winter so we might have some fresh vegetables and maybe some fruit this winter and early next spring. After this weekend when the chickens will be finished I will be putting more attention on the garden and then the greenhouse as cooler weather approaches. It is such a nice space to be in even now as bare as it is, I can't wait to fill it with plants.
The results of our Chicken Dinner are in. The processing was not nearly as smelly, nor disgusting as I had braced myself for. It was actually pretty interesting and humane in the sense that death for the chickens was quick and quiet once we figured out the make shift 'killing cone'. Plucking by hand was a bit tedious but it went well and didn't take too long. Once they were ready, Andy and friend Joe carved them up and mixed up a special sauce before we put them on the BBQ. They were about 3.5 lbs in the end and tasty. We are excited to hone our skills with our more experienced friends Nick and Ivan helping next weekend.
If you want a more detailed story let me know, it really was an interesting process. Enjoy the sunshine everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment